Check out this article by Padraig Harrington on hybrids versus long irons- complete with photos. If you aren’t a scratch golfer and you are still hitting a two iron, you are leaving shots on the course. READ ON! AK
Posts Tagged ‘lessons’
Okay I’m a golf professional and not the easiest person to buy for. But you should see some of the stuff I get for Christmas. Have no fear, I’m here to save you the embarrassment of “the bad gift” We constantly hear the same question in the Golf Shop; “What should I buy for the golfer in my family, he/she has everything!” There are some items the golfer can’t have too much of, and some that they just don’t need. Let’s start with what “NOT” to give.
THE CLICKER COUNTER
- This little beauty attaches to your golf bag and the idea is you click it after each shot so in theory it keeps your score for you. Here’s the problem. When you are up to you $%#@! in fescue, bush, or a water hazard looking for your ball the last thing you want to do is be reminded about how many shots you’ve taken already by “clicking” away. Sometimes it comes with a clip on towel as a bonus. Leave this one where it belongs- back at the store.
HOME PRACTICE RANGE
- I love this one. Usually comes in a box with “Everything you need to improve your game at home”- meaning some velcro wiffle balls and a target. Last time I checked I could only hit a velcro wiffle ball about 18 yards.
THE GOLF BALL BIRD HOUSE
- Click here if you don’t believe me!
THE GOLF TOILET SEAT
- no golfer is complete without one! Seeing is believing.
THE PUTTER SHAFT BALL PICK UP
- Apparently we can walk 18 holes but can’t bend over to pick the ball out of the hole. This piece of magic attaches to the end of your putter. After putting out you turn your putter around and push the shaft onto the ball and walla, out is comes. Haven’t seen a lot of these on tour yet. Even Arnie bends over to pick the ball out of the hole.
ANTI SLICE TEES
- I’ve got news for you. It’s going to take a lot more than a funny shaped tee to fix his/her slice. See below for a better tee option!
ANYTHING YOU CAN BUY WITH “THREE EASY PAYMENTS”
- This frustrates me the most. ‘You will hit it 30 yards further guaranteed if you buy the ‘I know it looks ridiculous but if it helps me hit it 30 yards farther- I’ll wear that- Teaching Aid” -oh forgot- for only three easy payments of $59.99. “Order now and we’ll throw in the Bazooka Three Wood that only goes straight- that’s right- it will never hook or slice guaranteed or return for free refund” shipping fee of $299 not included.
YES! Here’s what you SHOULD give.
CLUB FITTING SESSION
- I’m continually shocked how golfers purchase equipment. All the technology in the world won’t help if the equipment doesn’t fit. Visit your local Pro and purchase a gift certificate for a Custom Club Fitting session. At the end of the session the golfer in your family will have their club specifications for any future club purchases including shaft length, lie angle, shaft flex and grip size.
- This might be obvious but again it’s amazing how many golfers play in low end shoes. Spoil the golfer in your life with a great pair of shoes. They will be shocked how much more comfortable a good pair of shoes is and how much more support through the swing they will have.
GORTEX RAIN JACKET AND PANTS
- Sure this is a pricy gift but the die hard golfer needs good rain wear. A good Gortex suit will last years and is worth the investment.
FIVE LESSON PACKAGE
- There are a lot of good teachers out there but none of them can perform a miracle in one lesson. If you are tired of listening to the golfer in your life complain about their game, buy them some lessons.
- An inexpensive gift but a great one for the golf bag. This pouch will become home for the car keys, watch, wedding ring, wallet and more. Gone are the post game antics of digging through the bag looking for their valuables.
BEN HOGAN’S FIVE LESSONS: THE MODERN FUNDAMENTALS OF GOLF
- Great stocking stuffer. THE book every golfer should read.
- I can pretty much guarantee you the gofler in your life can’t hit their three iron. Get them a Hybrid Club and they will cook you dinner for the rest of the year.
Those are just a few suggestions. Be good to the golfer in your life.
P.S. Exploding golf balls aren’t funny.